Julian Family

~ I have prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him ~ I Samuel 1:27 ~ For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to give you hope and a future ~ Jeremiah 29:11 Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Oh, What a Week!

The Julian clan has had better weeks, I have to say! I had a wreck on Monday on my way to work. Luckily Max was not with me. I was sitting at a stop sign and a young teenage boy came around a curve too fast and slammed into the front of my car. I had just gotten my car fixed from someone else who hit me in the exact same spot a few months ago. No one was hurt, but it is such a hassle!

The worst has been for sweet Max. When you have a shunt, throwing up can be a really big deal. It can mean shunt malfunction or infection which would be bad because pressure would likely build back up in his brain. Tuesday he threw up several times and was very lethargic, so I called our neuro.dr. and they suggested taking him to the ER at Children's Hospital. We got there about 1:00pm. About 15 different doctors, 15 different nurses, 2 CT scans, 1 x-ray of his shunt line, an I.V., 2 spinal taps (the first drew no fluid, so they had to do it again), and an overnight stay in the hospital later, our hopes are that it is just a virus. We were released and told to watch him and bring him back if his symptoms continue and they will investigate the shunt further.

The CT scans showed that a tube has come out of a ventricle in his brain and they believe has probably not been functioning properly for a long time. The good thing about that is that to this point, his body seems to be doing the work necessary to drain the fluid itself. Yea! The bad thing is, we will still have to go through this process in the future when he gets sick because there is still the possibility of shunt malfunction or infection. The scans also showed a small speck of blood in his brain that is unrelated to his original brain bleeds. He is stable as far as this is concerned, but we are supposed to follow up on it with his neurosurgeon. I called the neuro yesterday and found out that they will likely be releasing us as a patient and getting us established as a patient at Children's. I was extremely unhappy about this and broke down and cried while I was on the phone with them. Dr. Burson (our dr.) has been great, has lots of experience, I completely trust him, and through this whole experience this week I just kept thinking, "I can't wait to talk to Dr. Burson about this and see what he says." Children's is a teaching hospital, so there are lots of residents (which is also why we saw SO MANY docs) and the resident we dealt with didn't act like he had a clue about anything, wasn't friendly or personal, and doesn't know Max's complete history. So...I'm rather disappointed.

Max seems to be feeling better. We can't seem to get rid of that pesky temperature. It goes up, we give tylenol or motrin, the temp goes down, and as soon as the meds wear off the temp goes back up. Last night it was 102.2. He's still sleeping this morning (it's 9:30) and I'm about to go check on him again. He felt warm the last time I was in there but I was trying not to wake him so I don't know the exact temp.

Thanks for your prayers for our sweet boy. Today I feel like it's just a virus, but I was pretty worried on Tuesday. I'm feeling a bit down that this is what he'll have to go through when he gets sick like this, but it's just the nature of having a shunt. Sorry for the LONG post!


At Thu Sep 13, 08:26:00 AM PDT, Anonymous kristin said...

I hate to hear about the temp last night...poor thing. I hope yall were able to get a better nights rest. Call me if you need ANYTHING. love yall

At Thu Sep 13, 09:22:00 AM PDT, Blogger Keeley said...

I am so thankful that everything is okay. Amanda texted me to let me know when he went to the hospital. I was praying for him all day. That is great that his body is working and not just the shunt! I can't wait to see you all at HU homecoming! Love ya, Keeley

At Thu Sep 13, 10:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Max is doing much better. Sounds as if you need to have a few calm days to rest. I hope he continues to improve and the new doctors work out better than you anticipate.

Aunt Phyllis

At Thu Sep 13, 10:38:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lindsey said...

I had no idea all this was going on till I read Melissa's blog - so sorry you guys have had such a scary week with your accident and then Max's shunt issues...we'll be praying for all of you guys!

At Thu Sep 13, 11:06:00 AM PDT, Blogger Emma Cate said...

Hey Kel,
I am so glad it was probably just a virus! We have been praying for all of you. Emma Cate said a special prayer for Max, "Dear God, Max feel better"! I am praying for you! Call if you need an ear! Love you!

At Thu Sep 13, 07:35:00 PM PDT, Blogger Michael and Hannah said...

Having a sick baby is traumatic enough itself... can't imagine all that you go through worrying about the shunt when Max is sick. Please do continue to shout out for prayers during those times. I know there will be more, but we're always eager to pray for Max.

At Thu Sep 13, 08:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger Kimberly said...

I'm so glad he is getting better and that it might have been just a virus. Adalie had a virus this week, too and although its been rough I have no room to complain when I compare myself to being put in your shoes.
You are so strong, Kelly, and so is Max because of you. We will continue to pray that he gets better and that things work out with the Dr.s.
Please keep us posted!

At Fri Sep 14, 06:35:00 PM PDT, Blogger The Blessed One said...

Hey Kel,
I'm so thankful everything has turned out "OK" I was sorry to hear about the car accident. Seems like there's a lot of those going around these days. Thanks for keeping us posted! I am ready to send up any prayers needed that way!! Love ya, Shannon

At Sat Sep 15, 07:00:00 AM PDT, Blogger Faith (Gavin's Mommy) said...

We are always praying!!! I know the feeling when they get sick! It's really frustrating... if you ever need to talk I AM HERE! Love you!

At Sat Sep 15, 10:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger kim said...

Hey Kelly
So sorry to hear about Max's troubles this week. So a tube is lose in his ventricles? I didn't know that was possible. I think Lorelei just has one tube, does he have more than one? We too have been in the ER multiple times for vomiting,etc. It is such a huge pain, and it ends up being just a virus. I hope Max is doing better! We will be praying!

At Sun Sep 16, 06:45:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We wanted to let you know that we found you through Gavin's site and will be praying for little Max and your family. We are so sorry you all had such a rough week.

Grace's Mommy


Post a Comment

<< Home