Julian Family

~ I have prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him ~ I Samuel 1:27 ~ For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to give you hope and a future ~ Jeremiah 29:11 Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Easter Seals

Well, I will start by saying that John and I agreed, we could have heard much worse today. I really feel okay about how things went (thanks for your prayers) and I only teared up a few times, but it was more just about being in the situation than about what they were actually saying. They started out by putting him on his tummy to see how high he would lift his head and the little stinker just rested his head on his hands and chewed on his fist. No amount of coaxing could get him to lift it. They did several tests and then gave me their recommendations. I'll start with speech - it was the best. She said he is scoring on age level for both expressive and receptive language and that she has no concerns for him. She noticed that he responds to sound, his name, and faces. She said he talks better than any baby she's seen and she wished she could record him and play it for parents to show them how a baby should be talking at that age. She doesn't need to see him back for 9 months. The physical and occupational therapists both said he qualifies for therapy and they recommend it. The majority of his problems, they think, comes from lack of head control. He is behind in visual motor aggression skills (tracking, etc.), he scored at a 1 month age eqivalency for stationary skills (head control) and 2 months for locomotion skills (kicking, moving arms, etc). They said they think we're in it for the long haul as far as therapy is concerned but they think he has really good potential to make good progress. Now John and I have to make the decision as to which therapists to use, Easter Seals or the one here in Cabot if they even have openings. It's a hard decision to make since we just want to do the very best thing for Max and we don't know who has better therapists.

I mentioned how his left side sometimes lays limp and they asked if he had had another EEG to rule out seizure activity. I don't know why I never thought of that. If it is a seizure, it doesn't look like your typical seizure. I'll have to call the doctor and see what they think of that.

We appreciate all of your prayers for this evaluation and for us. I'm still trying to get more pictures on the albums, but it's not working for some reason. I'm also trying to figure out how to get videos on here. Hopefully I can figure that out soon.

Always praying,
Kelly

10 Comments:

At Thu Nov 30, 11:35:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max has a mind of his own. We know he can raise his head some so I don't think he is as low in that area as they might think. I am very pleased with his language development (to me this is more cognitive in nature). The little stinker! He brings us such joy. I know you and John will make the correct decision on the therapist and I know Max will continue to make great progress.
Nanny Di

 
At Thu Nov 30, 12:29:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel very encouraged about his evaluation and am thankful to God for so much improvement. I, too, am very pleased about his language development. It sounds as if he is a great candidate to make good progress in the other areas, and I know you will make a prayerful decision about his therapy.
Love,
Aunt Dana

 
At Thu Nov 30, 01:33:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Nanny Di that since the little stinker wouldn't raise his head, maybe he isn't as low in that area as they think! They just couldn't see what he is capable of! Either way, it sounds like he's making great progress. We'll pray for wisdom for you and John to make the best decision for Max and his therapists.
Love,
Cousin Robyn

 
At Thu Nov 30, 04:05:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds as if Max is making great progress. Babies will never do what you want them to at the right time like raising his head. His little personality is really showing in his pictures of late.You are always in our prayers.Love, Aunt Marilyn

 
At Thu Nov 30, 05:03:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for y'all.

In Him,
Sarah

 
At Thu Nov 30, 08:19:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If mountains can be moved with faith as small as a mustard seed than so can Max's head!! :) Girl - you can count on me to be praying daily for little Max's head control to gain significant strength!!! I will also be praying that you will make the right decision on who will be his therapists as well as discovering whether or not there's any seizure activity going on.

 
At Thu Nov 30, 09:30:00 PM PST, Blogger Kimberly said...

Kelly,
I really have no official knowledge or training compared to the Easter Seals people but in my opinion I really think Max is doing great! Adalie is just a few weeks behind him and he sounds right on track for his age and compared to her! He's doing things she hasn't yet (rolling over). Did you show him the picture of how well he was holding up his head as proof?
Did they score him on how cute he is? Because I know he would get the highest marks for cuteness!

 
At Thu Nov 30, 10:12:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are still praying for Max. so many prayers have been answered, and we'll just keep sending up petitions! love you guys.
P.S. i LOVE the santa hat pics!!!

 
At Fri Dec 01, 03:50:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Max would not hold his head up, I think he may just have an ornery streak like his Daddy and Papa. Don't you know he was laughing at the therapists, knowing all along that he could and does lift his head? We see his progress and love his beautiful smile and twinkle in his eye. We're praying for the decision that you will be making on his therapy. He has made such great progress and we don't see him stopping now.

Love,
Uncle Bill and Aunt Frances

 
At Sat Dec 02, 08:21:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear what that things are going well for little Max! He is adorable in his little Christmas outfit...Carter wore the hat, which I'm sure one day he will ask questions on my choice of fashion!
Sara Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home