Julian Family

~ I have prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him ~ I Samuel 1:27 ~ For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to give you hope and a future ~ Jeremiah 29:11 Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 23, 2006

Physical Therapy Evaluation

Today we had another physical therapy evaluation. The therapist, Cole, really took his time and he was great to answer all of our questions. He was very honest but he was much more positive than the therapists from Easter Seals were. He did say that there definitely seems to be a problem - it is just hard to say how involved it will be at this point. He said his main concerns were that there is a definite difference between how he moves his left and right sides, he has trouble tracking, and he doesn't play (grasp for toys, etc) like he should be at this point. According to the test he did, his head control is about a month behind where it should be on some tasks. One area of the test was to see if he could hold his head up when laying on the floor on his tummy. He said it was encouraging that he just mastered that yesterday, that is a skill a 2 month old should be able to perform. He also said that the fact that he just started doing that shows that he is making progress. Max doesn't have some of the reflexes that he should have. There were times when he showed some asymmetry when he smiled and sometimes when he smiled it looked completely normal. His left eye also looks a little droopy sometimes, which he said could either mean that he is sleepy or could go along with how the left side of his body acts differently than the right side. Cole did mention that we could be looking at some degree of cerebral palsy but he said it could be very minor. I asked him if the tone on his right side was high like Easter Seals had said. He said that he thinks just the opposite - that the right side is probably normal and the left side may be a little low. He also said that he doesn't like to speculate this early on about high/low tone - he just knows that there is a difference in the 2 sides and that is a concern. He observed that the left side didn't move as well as the right. He did say that it is possible that by age 2 he could be doing things age appropriately and that some of his deficits at this time could very well be caused from the trauma of having a brain bleed then going through the surgery to place the shunt, not to mention laying in a hospital bed for nearly the first month of his life. He said that Max is certainly not the worst case scenario but not the best either. He did not feel that Max was showing signs at this time that indicated that he wouldn't be able to play sports, etc. and he said he expects to see only progress from this point forward. He recommended starting therapy definitely before he is 6 months old. He said some encouraging things and John and I are really trying to focus on those things. We continue to pray that as the blood leaves Max's brain that only healthy brain tissue will remain. We pray that he will have no deficits and that he will make progress that shows that he is developing as he should. Tomorrow is Max's 2 month appointment with the pediatrician. I have a lot of questions for her and I will try to post about the appointment tomorrow. John and I are thankful for your continued prayers. Please pray specifically that Max will not have any damage to his brain from all that he has been through and that he will grow up to be healthy and strong in mind and body and that most of all he will grow up to love God. Please pray that John and I will make the right decisions for Max, that we will continue to look to God for strength, and that we will not worry about the future.

We keep praying,
Kelly

14 Comments:

At Mon Oct 23, 08:31:00 PM PDT, Blogger Michael and Hannah said...

Hi Kelly,

Max continues to be in my daily prayers. You are giving him all the love and attention a child could ever hope for, and I know God is holding all three of you especially close. I'm encouraged that Max has come as far as he has in such a short period of time. I know it's been a LONG two months for you, but two months is really not that long... and look at all the progress Max has made! I am definitely encouraged. Thanks for continuing to let us pray for you as family!

Much love,
Hannah, Michael, and Wesley Rogers

 
At Mon Oct 23, 09:18:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly and John,

As Cole said, and as you know, Max has been through a lot in the last 2 months, especially the first few weeks of his life! I heard a lot of good in what he said. Just as you have seen with Max being able to raise his head just recently, he is going to continue to get stronger every day. Cole said he expects to see only progress from this point forward. Talk about progress. Picture where Max was just 6 and 7 weeks ago compared to now. He has made HUGE progress and will continue to do so. I've told you both all along everything will be fine and it will be. Keep your faith strong. Focus on each other's needs and enjoying Max. Leave the rest up to God. As for me, I'm going to sit back and watch Max grow up to be a healthy and happy liitle boy and fine young man some day. He is lucky to have you both as parents.

I love you!!!!! dad

 
At Tue Oct 24, 05:47:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John and Kelly,
I hear some good things in your latest report and I know that God is guiding you both in your decisions related to Max. He is a precious baby and we are continuing to pray for you.
Love,
Aunt Dana

 
At Tue Oct 24, 08:03:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly and John,
Kelly, your Dad (Papoa) said it very well, as did Aunt Dana. I agree with everything they said. Kelly, you are the best Mom Max could ever have. John, you are the best Dad Max could ever have. As Papoa said, "Everything is going to be fine." Papa Terry has also said this all along. Max has been through a lot, but is blessed with wonderful parents.
We love you,
Nanny Di

 
At Tue Oct 24, 09:15:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly and John,
We continue our prayers for the three of you daily. I talked to Janan on Sunday evening and she said she had gotten to hold Max on Sunday morning and how precious he is. I still feel like God is holding Max in his palm and that he will continue to make progress and have a wonderful life. We pray for complete healing. Ron and Sue Phillips.

 
At Tue Oct 24, 09:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, I hate I missed you Sunday at church.
I am praying for you and Max daily.

 
At Tue Oct 24, 12:43:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, Good to hear some good things from this appointment. Praying for today's time with your doctor. Can you believe he's only been with you for two months? It seems like much longer to me, and I am sure for you! He is a precious gift from God and I know that you treasure him. Love you guys!
Brooke

 
At Tue Oct 24, 12:58:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly & John,
We are still here, checking everyday on Max's progress. Max is such a handsome little guy and what a fighter! Wow, he has overcome so much in such a little time. I know the Lord is faithful, He continues to show himeself everyday thru Max. WE continue praying!
Sara Jo & Zach Neal

 
At Tue Oct 24, 02:07:00 PM PDT, Blogger carol said...

Kelly and John,
We continue to pray for Max. I, too, feel like he has made so much progress in the last 2 months that he can only get better and better each day. I pray that you two will feel peaceful and hopeful about Max's future. It's going to be great (especially with you two as parents!)
Love always,
Carol

 
At Tue Oct 24, 03:17:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,
It was so good to get to see Max on Saturday. He looked so cute and sweet in his little blue outfit.

I am glad that you heard some positive news from the P.T. evaluation. It sounded very encouraging. My boss is an O.T. and I told her a little about Max. She said that most professionals are careful to make many definitive judgments concerning tone issues until the child is two years old. She said that she would tell most parents to interpret results with caution because so many factors could influence their performance at such a young age.
It was so great to hear that he is holding his head up now. You guys must be so thrilled. I know it may seem like a little thing, but that is a major milestone for him. I know you and John must be so happy. Brian and I will continue to pray for you all. I know that God will continue to answer prayers and Max will keep improving!

Love,
Laura

 
At Tue Oct 24, 05:00:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, John and Kari,
I have just been viewing all the new pictures posted for Oct. Thank you very much for sharing with all of us. I truly did enjoy them. It appears that Max had quite a day out with Mom, Nanny Di, Aunt Jill, Great Aunt Renee, and cousin Laura!
Thanks,
Aunt Dana

 
At Tue Oct 24, 05:02:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly and John, I read some very positive news from Max's latest PT evaluation. I have said all along and I agree with Terry that Max is going to be just fine. He has already amazed us and he will continue to do so. We love you all! Aunt Marilyn

 
At Tue Oct 24, 07:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lindsey Eason said...

It's great to hear that the physical therapist, (Cole), took his time while evaluating Max - I know how much you and John must've appreciated that! It sounds like you received mostly encouraging news and that is an answer to prayer. We will definitely pray more specifically for what you've requested!

I don't blame you for worrying - I know how it feels to worry about your son and have all of the "what if's" running through your mind...Psalms and Proverbs were so comforting to me during our struggles with Shep and I want to encourage you to dive in to those two books (if you haven't already).

Your friend,
Lindsey

 
At Tue Oct 24, 08:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Amanda said...

Hey Kel,
He looks so big in those pictures. I just want to squeeze those sweet little cheeks. I'm continually praying for you and sweet Max. Can't wait to see you this weekend.
love,
Shores

 

Post a Comment

<< Home