Julian Family

~ I have prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him ~ I Samuel 1:27 ~ For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to give you hope and a future ~ Jeremiah 29:11 Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

So far so good...



...as far as sleeping is concerned. For 3 nights he has nearly slept through the night. This is incredibly exciting for all in the Julian household. The crying seems to get less each night. His naps are even better during the day than they used to be and I attribute this to his good nighttime sleep.

Most of you reading this probably began this journey with us. I thought today I would share a little of my personal journey and tell you a little about what is on my heart. For 5 months I have not been myself and I'm glad that John loves me like he does because I'm sure I haven't been easy to live with. Last week I talked to a good, christian dr. who does not know me and does not know about Max and I told him our whole story, from my perfect pregnancy up until today. He asked me something that I had never thought about - he asked me if I thought I had grieved over the loss of an expectation. I told him I had cried but that usually when I do that it is over worry or frustration and when Max was in the hospital we cried because we thought our world had just fallen apart. He said it would be very normal and good for me to actually grieve. We had many expectations before Max was born. We expected to come home with our new baby in 1 to 2 days, we expected him to be healthy, we expected life to go on (of course with some changes) as it had before but even better, we expected the days following his birth to be pure bliss, we expected to not have to worry about his future developmentally, cognitively, and over-all health-wise any more than normal, etc. We lost all of those things. I think last night was the first time I actually grieved and the first time I was able to really tell John how I felt about everything that happened. Every night for the past 5 months I lay in bed and replay those first few days over and over in my mind. Watching Max turn blue the night he stopped breathing, watching my new baby lay there and have seizures in the nursery, handing him over to the flight nurse for his helicopter ride, seeing him lay in a bed covered with wires, iv's and tubes in a neonatal intensive care unit, sitting on our bed listening as Dr. Nestrude told us that there was very little possiblity that Max would be fine, the roller coaster of emotions that we went through for nearly a month in the hospital. The fact that for 38 1/2 weeks my baby had never been separated from me - I felt his kicks, his hiccups, he foot sticking in my ribs. And all of a sudden I was without my baby. I couldn't hold him all the time, there were days I couldn't even touch him, and at night I had to leave him. The shock, the pain, and the hurt still feel real today. Of course, along with the loss of what we expected, we gained things that far exceeded our expectations. I never in a million years would have dreamed that it was possible to love another human being in the way you love your child.

You may be thinking, "she should be happy, Max is doing good." Yes. I do have a lot to be happy about. We are blessed far beyond what we deserve. God answered many, many prayers the way that we hoped that he would. We have Max with us, unlike Parker's parents who lost him a month ago. God willing, Max will not require any more surgerys, unlike Gavin who had surgery on his heart on Monday. God willing, Max will not experience more seizures, unlike Harper who had a very, very scary episode last night. Why God chose to make Max progress as he has I may never know. And I am thankful and I praise Him. But it was good to grieve last night. I don't know if it's the last time I'll feel this way or not, but I am thankful to the dr. who told me that it was okay.

**After I originally posted this I checked my email and had a message about another baby who needs prayers. I will paste a portion of the email and add his link to the right so that you can check for updates.**

After a routine visit to the doctor's office for Ethan's eight week checkup, they found a lump and sent us to the hospital. After numberous tests, they have confirmed that Ethan has Leukemia. From all that we know, this is an extremely rare diagnosis considering that he has between a 1,000,00 and 1,500,000 white blood cell count, and he just passed with 2 month birthday. Please visit http://www.ethanpowell.com for the full details. If you would like to send a word of encouragement or prayers, please do so at prayersforethan@yahoo.com. We place our son's health in God's hands and ask for your prayers.

10 Comments:

At Wed Feb 07, 11:22:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly! I'm so glad that Max has had several good nights of sleep! That's wonderful news! =)I sent you an email, I hope you got it! See you tonight~

 
At Wed Feb 07, 01:20:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,
You are special. I have emailed you a personal note.
Love,
Diana

 
At Wed Feb 07, 02:52:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,
You are a wonderful mother and God loves you just as much and holds you just as much as he does Max. I am thankful that you are taking time to grieve and to enjoy the times of joy as well. I have grown to love you even more than I did before Max was born. John and Max are so blessed to have you in their lives and the whole Chism family is blessed to see your love and trust in the Lord. Thank your for your example to us and for your willingness to let us witness the sad times as well and the happy ones. God must be so proud of you.

Love and Prayers,
Aunt Frances

 
At Wed Feb 07, 03:58:00 PM PST, Blogger Bryan and Sarah said...

Kelly,
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You are such a special person. We continue to pray for Max and all of you.

Love,
Sarah

 
At Wed Feb 07, 04:15:00 PM PST, Blogger Lindsey Eason said...

Kelly - you are gifted at expressing your feelings. I am sure it was good for you to grieve last night - and what a blessing that Max is progressing as well as he is! I hope he continues to sleep well for you both at night and during the day!!

 
At Wed Feb 07, 08:33:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, you are an example of a wonderful Mom. Max could have never picked a better one. You are doing the right thing by letting him cry back to sleep. It should not take very long and he will sleep through the whole night. We are still praying. Love, Aunt Marilyn

 
At Fri Feb 09, 10:35:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am so glad that Max is doing well. Becoming a mother is quite an adjustment, but becoming a mother to a hospitilized child is even harder, I know. You will always remember those first weeks, I still do, but time has a way filling your days up with the joy Max brings you. You will never forget, but it will get easier. I know how difficult it is to share your own personal journal with us, I will keep y'all in our prayers. If you need anything, let me know.
Sara Jo

 
At Sat Feb 10, 06:55:00 AM PST, Blogger aWare said...

Wow, Kelly you are so strong,I am in awe of your patience and strength. I dont think I realize what a devoted God seeking person you are. I am inspired. Max is so cool and his outfit is adorable!

 
At Sun Feb 11, 10:31:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly! I am Sara Kathryn, Kristin's friend. I came across this website the other day (a friend of a friend type deal) but I thought ya'll would want to know and might would put it on your other babies section. Max's pictures are precious!!!!
http://www.ethanpowell.com/

 
At Sun Feb 11, 10:33:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just talked to Kristin and realized that Ethan's website is already attached to ya'lls. What a small world! Have a great week!
-Sara Kathryn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home